Waste Prevention Information Exchange
CalRecycle Programs and Services
- Food Scrap Management, including:
- Organics Outlook, including:
CalRecycle has hundreds of printed or Web publications on composting. You can find them with our publication search page or our Web site search page. The Organics Publications directory includes many commercial and noncommercial compost publications from CalRecycle.
CalRecycle publications include:
- Composting, Nature's Way to Recycle—A how-to booklet on composting. Also available in Spanish.
- Reusable Totes, Blue Wrap Recycling, and Composting (PDF, 462 KB)—The last part of this three-part fact sheet addresses food composting in hospitals. Produced by U.S. EPA Region 9 Pollution Prevention Program. (Mention of trade names, products, or services does not convey, and should not be interpreted as conveying, official EPA or CalRecycle approval, endorsement, or recommendation. Other disclaimers apply.)
- Composting—Information from U.S. EPA.
- How Composting Works—A thorough, but not too technical, description of composting from Marshall Brain's How Stuff Works. Suggests interesting home or classroom projects: experiments with compost, and home trash audits.
- How to Compost—From HowToCompost.org