Local Government Case Studies
This section of the library is a listing of case studies from across CalRecycle's website that jurisdictions or local government officials may use to learn about successful diversion programs.
- Construction and Demolition Diversion. Case studies related to development and adoption of ordinances.
- Disaster Response and Recovery Archives and Case Studies. This information may be useful to those planning for the future or responding to similar disaster situations.
- Beverage Containers. Successful Grant Funded Recycling Projects. A list of successful grant-funded projects. Select the grantee name to obtain project information.
- Business Waste Reduction Fact Sheets and Case Studies. Industry-Specific Fact Sheets, General Fact Sheets, Thumbnail Business Case Studies by business sector.
- Commercial Recycling. These case stories were developed by ILG, with initial funding provided through a contract with the California Integrated Waste Management Board (now known as CalRecycle)
- Food Scrap Reduction. This listing includes pilot projects using CalRecycle contracts and recipients of CalRecycle's Waste Reduction Awards Program (WRAP).
- Green Building. These case studies include a wide variety of studies highlighting sustainable design features for green buildings.
- Local Programs. These programs were featured in CalRecycle's 2000 "Innovations" project, which showcased successful recycling and waste reduction programs.
- Organic Materials Management Case Studies. Examples include benefits of compost use, case studies, compost guidelines and specifications, contract mechanisms, directories, environmentally preferable purchases and practices policies, fees, marketing plans, model ordinances, and resources. To navigate this toolbox, use the links on the menu below.
- Publications. CalRecycle's Publications Catalog includes a listing of other miscellaneous waste-reduction case studies.
- Recycling Market Development Zone Business Success Stories. CalRecycle is pleased to feature the success stories of businesses that use the RMDZ program. These are intended as just a sampling of the many businesses that have prospered in part from RMDZ services offered by CalRecycle.
- Resource-Efficient Landscaping. CalRecycle-sponsored demonstration projects to reduce green waste, conserve water, and minimize non-point source pollution from urban landscapes.
- School Waste Reduction. Short profiles on school and school district efforts.
- School Districts. Detailed information on six districts that participated in CalRecycle's Environmental Ambassadors pilot program.
- Used Oil/HHW Projects. We encourage you to adopt these strategies which have significantly increased the collection of used oil, filters, and household hazardous waste. Adapt them to fit your community's needs.
- Venues and Events/Facility Waste Reduction. Brief case studies of successful programs at individual venue facilities, events, and service providers.
- TrashCutters. Local government diversion program award winners from 1998-2001.
- State Agency Recycling Recognition (STARR) Awards. State agency diversion program award winners from 2001-2002.
- Economics and the Environment. These case studies feature businesses that use CalRecycle's Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ) program.